04 May 2010

-----SECTION FIVE: WORKSHOPS / SCHEDULE / MISC CHAT------

OBTAINED FROM DR.KATHIE NUNLEY'S EDUCATOR'S Newsletter May '10 Edition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello - I've returned from my great adventure in Uganda and am so excited to share what we did, what we saw and what plans we have to continue to help the Springs Alive school. We ended up with over 200 pounds of school supplies which we took packed in our luggage. I've updated the website page with some photos from our day: http://help4teachers.com/uganda.htm

And also a plea to teachers out there to help us keep this school moving. Due to irregular attendance (If you saw the village area, you would understand why many children are unable to come some days) and the instability of a trained teacher supply, we need to help them set-up a student-centered learning environment. I need help from all of you - curriculum planners and teachers to help us get a list of basic skills and activities that can be used by the students to learn those skills. Email me (or reply to this newsletter) if you and your students can get involved with this
project.

In other news, I'll be heading back to Canada a couple of times this month to continue Layered Curriculum® training with the Toronto District. June will be New York City month, with 3 trips down there starting with a keynote at the city-wide parents conference and continued work with ELL teachers. I also have a trip to Chicago in June.

I still have some openings in my August workshop calendar as well as one in September and one opening in December. If you are looking to schedule a workshop for the next school year, please send me an email or visit: http://help4teachers.com/workshops.htm

As always, my best to yours,
Kathie

1 comment:

Grant Crankshaw said...

Dear Dr. Nunley

I was thrilled to hear you had visited the Springs Alive School and taken them some supplies. It's also great to see the new photographs of the kids.

I am not a teacher, but will do whatever I can to help Martin with fund raising efforts to improve the school. At the moment we're working on a proposal for water and electricity.
Thanks for all you've done
Grant Crankshaw